Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Favorites - Cocktails and Hors Doeuvres

We love ourselves a good cocktail party! Today we bring you our favorite cocktail and hors doeuvres combinations.


......................................



Sybil's Pick...

I must be missing Italy with my lovely girlfriends because my current favs are a Bellini (always my fav!) and Arancini (Rice Balls). Arancini originated in Sicily in the 10th century and Harry’s Bar in Venice is an institution! No problem docking your gondola here. Pure Indulgence!


Bellini:
2 oz peach juice or peach puree
4 oz Champagne
Pour the peach juice or peach puree into glass.
Slowly add the Champagne


Click here for the Arancini recipe



......................................



Laura's Pick...

When entertaining, I'm a cheese and vodka kind of girl.

Appetizer:
Rogue Creamery in Oregon creates the most amazing hand crafted cheeses. Pair their River Blue with mango chutney (I use store-bought from Trader Joe's) and your favorite gourmet cracker or flatbread. Amazing.





Cocktail:
I fell in love with limoncello in Italy and recently discovered it's even better when shaken & strained with Ketel One vodka!


Limoncello:
Add equal parts vodka and limoncello and some simple syrup to taste.

Shake with ice, strain into ice cold martini class and garnish with a sugared lemon peel.


......................................



Leslie's Pick...

I am channeling the spirit of Mad Men with this one. On a hot Spring or Summer day I think a Gin and Tonic is the perfect drink. I am partial to Hendricks gin. For the hors doeuvres go with a classic like deviled eggs, but not just any recipe will do, for this I defer to the expert, chef Mario Batali. Click here for the recipe they use at his restaurant The Spotted Pig.


Gin and tonic:
2 oz gin
5 oz tonic water
1 lime wedge
Pour the gin and the tonic water into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes.
Stir well. Garnish with the lime wedge.





Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment