Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Iconic Art of Alex Katz

I'd be remiss not to blog about one of my favorite American artists, Alex Katz. His works are genius and I adore the simplicity of his vision. Who knew that a two dimensional image could be so evocative? I keep a running wish list of collectibles and his 'poppies' sits right alongside a certain Chanel LBD. Katz understands the intersection between fashion and art...he uses supermodels as subjects, creates art for W Magazine and is featured in the spring 2010 J Crew catalog. love!


The man himself, Katz poses in his own studio for J Crew (rumor has it J Crew stylist Jenna Lyons is a huge fan)


Orange Interior, 1968


The Black Dress, 1960

Eleuthera, 1999


Kate Moss, 2003


My favorite! Poppies, 1967

Alex Katz on display at the James Hyman Gallery in London

No comments:

Post a Comment