Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Come For Supper

The cooler weather and shorter days always inspire me to put a fire in the fireplace, dress up my table, and gather my favorite people for a family-style dinner party. Here’s my simple formula for an evening spent in with friends.

The Setting:

I love a mixture of cinnamon, orange, and celadon for fall. Lay the table with a neutral textured linen and bring in a rich palette of color with flowers, branches, and edibles like figs and pomegranates. I always find inspiration for lush and decadent arrangements from R. Jack Balthazar and love their use of florals, edibles, and succulents in these centerpieces. Finally - candles, candles, candles, everywhere! It’s the best mood lighting around and also the most flattering.



The Food:

There is nothing more inviting than trays of delicious food passed family style. For an autumn supper, start with antipasti platters composed of artisan breads, hummus, and marinated olives. Keeping in season, a glazed pork loin served with orzo with roasted winter vegetables is easy to prepare and always a crowd pleaser. For dessert, an old-fashioned apple & pear crisp a la mode is a sweet ending to a perfect meal. Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa fame is the queen of comfort food and these recipes never disappoint.




The Drink:

You know I love me a good red but for this menu, I’m thinking of this most delicious Semillon I tried last month. Floral and fruity, the 2007 Saxon-Brown Cricket Creek from Alexander Valley would be the perfect pairing for the roasted pork and vegetables. Ah, well I’ll probably throw my favorite Miner Pinot Noir in there as well!



The Play List:

I’m thinking Matt Berninger’s (The National) super sultry voice would be the perfect backdrop for dinner. Mix in some Editors, Estelle, and Lily Allen to keep the party going after the dinner table is cleared.






Happy Entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment